Texas Caviar (1 comment) Side Dishes
This recipe has been rated 3 times
Rate this Recipe
- 2 cans (16 ounces) black eyed peas or black beans
- 2 cans (16 ounces) whole kernel white corn
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 tomatillos (optional)
- 1 large purple onion, chopped
- 6 jalepenos, seeded and chopped
- 6 roma tomatoes
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Drain and rinse beans and corn. Combine in a large bowl with chopped peppers, onions, tomatillos and tomatoes.
Mix oil, vinegar, Tabasco, salt and pepper. Pour over salad and stir gently to coat.
Refrigerate for several hours to overnight before serving.
Nutrition Info per serving: (1 serving, 4 oz.) 101 calories; 5.8 g fat (0.5 g saturated fat; 1.3 g monounsaturated fat); 0 mg cholesterol; 406 mg sodium; 12 g carbohydrate; 2.7 g fiber; 1.8 g protein; 1.1 mg niacin; 0.1 mg vitamin B6; 0 mcg vitamin B12; 0.8 mg iron; 0.8 mcg selenium; 0.4 mg zinc.