Spicy Barbecue Steak Panini with Crispy Onions New
Be the first to rate this recipe!
- vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced & separated into rings
- 2 hoagie buns, split
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 4 oz leftover grilled steak, thinly sliced (about 6 slices)
- 1/3 cup chipotle barbecue sauce
- 2 oz smoked cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
1. In a deep, heavy skillet, heat about 2 inches of oil over high heat until it registers 375 degrees on the thermometer.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Add onion and toss to lightly coat, shaking off and discarding excess flour. Carefully transfer onion rings to the hot oil and fry, turning once, until golden brown and crispy, 3 to 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and keep warm.
3. Preheat panini grill to high.
4. Place buns, cut side down, on a work surface and brush crusts with butter. Turn buns over and spread mayonnaise over bottom halves. Evenly layer with steak, cheese and 1 cup of fried onions. Drizzle with barbecue sauce. Cover with top halves and press gently to pack.
5. Place sandwiches in grill, close the top plate and cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately, with the remaining fried onions on the side.
Tips from Our Cook
This recipe is wonderful with or without the fried onions. If you prefer, used sliced or sauteed onions.
To ensure proper internal cooking with a perfect crust on the outside, make sure the oil is heated to 375 degrees before frying the onions.