Mi Casa Cassoulet with Adobe Twists Kid-Friendly Meals
Be the first to rate this recipe!
- 1-1/4 lbs. lean ground beef
- or - 1 lb. fully cooked ground beef
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. dry taco seasoning mix
- 1 can (15 ounces) Mexican style chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup ripe black olives cut lengthwise in fourths
- 3 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 ounces reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 can (11-1/2 ounces) refrigerated cornbread twists
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp. water
- parsley sprigs
Saute beef and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until beef is no longer pink and onions are limp, stirring to break up ground beef into medium sized crumbles. Drain off drippings.
If using fully cooked ground beef, saute onion until limp, add beef and stir until warm. Proceed as directed below.
Open can of tomatoes and discard 2 Tbsp. of the liquid.
Add taco seasoning mix, tomatoes with remaining liquid, beans, olives and chopped parsley to meat and onion mixture. Mix lightly.
Spoon mixture into 9x12 baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
Divide cornbread twists and press each piece to 10 inches. Twist strips while shaping in lattice pattern over mixture. Press each strip to side of dish making sure they adhere to sides of the dish.
Brush twists with mixture of egg and water.
Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
Garnish with parsley sprigs.
Serve with a green salad.
Nutrition Info per serving: (1 serving, 8 oz.) 336 calories; 13 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 72 mg cholesterol; 1026 mg sodium; 32 g carbohydrate; 4.2 g fiber; 23 g protein; 3.3 mg niacin; 0.2 mg vitamin B6; 1.2 mcg vitamin B12; 3.9 mg iron; 10.7 mcg selenium; 3.3 mg zinc.