Fast Beef Facts
Shalene McNeill, Ph.D., R.D.
Lean beef is considered nutrient-rich because it packs a powerhouse of essential nutrients that benefits people of all ages in maintaining both day-to-day and long-term health.
- A 3 ounce serving of beef is an excellent source of protein, zinc, vitamin B12, selenium and phosphorus and a good source of niacin, vitamin B6, iron and riboflavin.
- This is quite a nutritional bargain, as a 3 ounce serving of lean beef contributes less than 10 percent of calories to a 2,000-calorie diet while providing 51 percent of the protein, 38 percent of the zinc and 37 percent of the vitamin B12 we need every day.
- Beef supplies high-quality protein, complete with nine essential amino acids.
- Beef is one of the most important dietary sources of iron. To obtain the same amount of iron found in a 3 ounce serving of beef, you’d have to eat at least 3 cups of raw spinach.
- A 3 ounce serving of beef provides 38 percent of the Daily Value for zinc. You would need to eat more than eleven 3 ounce servings of tuna to get the same amount of zinc in one 3 ounce serving of beef.
- Beef contains significant amounts of the B-complex vitamins, riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, B6 and B12.
Benefits of Nutrient-Rich Lean Beef
The Advantages of Lean Beef